Friday, November 20, 2009

Sister Austin's final letter to the President

Dear President Pimintal,

This is the finalise letter. 'We are returning to the United States and leaving beloved Germany and our CES Mission experience. This is a bitter Sweet experience as we pack our bags with hearts that are full.

We came a year and half ago not knowing what to expect but we leave with many fond memories and many spiritual experiences.

I have reflected often on two occurrences which happened before our mission. One was a dream I had before we received our call. In that dream I was bearing my testimony in German. I remember waking up from that dream and thinking but I do not speak German. The other experience was when we were set apart as Missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. In that blessing the Stake President blessed me with the gift of tongues. I remember feeling at the time that if I would everyday spend time studying German and reading in the book of Mormon, that the I would be able to speak. Well I have done my best to study and to read each day even if it is only a short time, and have been blessed to be able to bear my testimony all over Saxony in DGerman. My Stake President also blessed me with an instant love of the German people. I felt it the first Sunday we were hear and it has remained strong in my heart as we have served and attended our meetings, visit taught, song with the primary children and served in many capacities with the YSA.

One of the first things I was asked to do when we came was to cook. Rene the YSA that asked me told me what they expected and I remember feeling I was not sure I was up to feeding 30 to 40 people each week in the Institute and then also snacks for Family Home Evening. But I remember asking my Father in Heave to help me with the right attitude and that I might find great joy in this assignment. I can tell you that it was not long before I was looking forward to this opportunity to serve. It was an amazing experience to feel the Spirit of joy in my cooking. I also noticed the impact it was having on the YSA. They loved it. I soon found the great Principal of service in effect as we serve one another unselfishly our love for each other increases. It was one sad day when we were told we would be leaving for another city. 'The YSA President began crying and she could not stop. Bother Elder Austin and I began to cry as well. It was hard to leave. But we had another wonderful experience as we began our service in Leipzig.

We were welcomed and loved just as much in Leipzig. The members hear in Leipzig have been so gracious and so kind to us. We have been loved and treated with great respect where ever we have been.

A big highlight of our mission was going to the Berlin Tagung with over 600 YSA from German speaking Europe. We were asked to give workshops and had a delightful time in preparation and in sharing our thoughts and love of the gospel, also meeting other CES couples was another great blessing.


Another very important principle that has been etched in my heart is that the Lord blesses and works through those he calls. I have a strong testimony of this as I have watched young District Leaders and Zone leaders do their best and receive inspiration for their stewardship's. I have felt the 'Spirit as missionaries bear there testimonies to investigators. It has been a privilege to serve with the missionaries and to see there diligence in teaching and sharing the gospel.

So what are the important things I have learned on my mission:

1. Preach my gospel in such an inspired missionary tool. I felt often the spirit bear witness as I studies.
2. The missionaries have the Spirit of the Lord with them.

3. The German people in Saxony are full of wisdom and insight because of the many things they have been through to maintain and keep strong testimonies of the gospel..

4. I have a great respect for those who remained faithful before the Venda.
5. The Lord loves his missio9naaries, and he will bless them.
6. The lessons learned on a mission are life long lessons. If we continue to pattern our life with the many habits and attitudes developed on our mission, we will be blessed greatly. Obedience, Love, Study, Service. Support and praying for our companion. etc etc etc

7. I have relearned the power of unselfish service.
8. I have felt the power of sincere testimony and I know the Lord is pleased when we share a sincere and heart felt testimony. I have a renewed desire to share it often.

9. My prayers for the missionaries and the missionary work will never be the same having served a mission. I will pray with increased intensity and faith in their behalf.

10. My respect for the work of a Mission President and his wife and family has increased immensely. This is a work of love and dedication, I did not realize how much work a Mission President does. OH MY

11. I have felt the blessing of the Lord in behalf of my family as we have served.

12. And to me most importantly my appreciation and love for a husband who has served day by day, going the extra mile in his effort to shepherd those who have been entrusted to our care. I have seen his frustration with personal concerns, I have seen his willingness to serve by the bishop or other ward leaders. I have heard heartfelt prayers in behalf of the YSA and in behalf of his beloved children and grandchildren.. I have seen his love the Jesus Christ increase. We have grown more united in this opportunity to serve. This in the eternities will be of the most significance importance for us.

I come from a family where all my 7 brothers and 1 sister served full time missions and alsoi mz father and my mother. I was the only person who had not gone on a mission. I can now say I too have served a mission for my Lord and my Church. Und dss ist wuderbar!

Sister Austin

No comments: