Friday, November 20, 2009

Elder Austin's final letter to the President

27 September 2009
Leipzig, Germany

Dear President Pimentel,

It has been an honor for me to serve with you and President Borcherding, two inspired and dedicated leaders. Both of you have proven many times to me that you are called of God and your confidence in me has confirmed that I also have been called to this great work. Sister Austin and I also think we have served with the best Sisters and Elders but this mission seems to be full of the best. This fact become important to me because I initially came on this mission out of love and respect for Sister Austin who so desired to be a missionary. Service out of duty is laudable but was not the motivation I needed to work with the young single adults. That came as I forgot myself and my duty and began to serve out of love. The result was that we found children here in the Germany Berlin Mission that became children to us and who taught me about faith. Perhaps I could share one such experience.

Following our arrival in Leipzig I had many opportunities to teach Institute classes when the assigned teachers were unable to come. I was always happy to do so when I had sufficient notification to prepare and in one month I had taught two consecutive Tuesdays but was hoping not to make it three. Tuesday morning came and no call to teach and I confess I was a bit relieved. Then, around noon, the call did come and again I said yes but began to feel some resentment building up inside myself. Nevertheless I began to study the manual and also began to pray that I could set aside my resentment and do a good job. As I did so a voice came into my mind clear with the words, “Elder Austin, I have arranged this for you today, it is not accident that you will teach this class and it is not for the young single adults that you will teach it. It is for you.” My inner response was, “Why Father, you know that I know the subject well and have taught it many times and have heard numerous talks about it during my life in the Church.” So, what was the topic I was to teach? Faith! By now I was in tears. Again I heard clearly in mind and heart the words, “Elder Austin, there is something you yet lack in regard to faith. Prepare and you will know when you have learned it.”

So again I began to review and read the scriptures, especially those in Matthew and some in the writing of Paul about the gifts of the Spirit. It became so clear to me that I had not understood for all these years that faith is a gift and the requirement to have and develop it is humility. I needed to ask Father for it and open my heart to receive it so I could plant the seed. I realized that I was like the father with the possessed son who said to the Savior, “I believe, help my unbelief.”
So, I lead the discussion about faith that night and I think I did ok, even though I was still a bit emotional. After the class was over no one came to me to thank me or tell me I did well which had always occurred on previous occasions. The thought occurred to me again that if they had my pride may have overcome my humility and again I would have assumed it was my ability that mattered rather than the guidance of the Holy Ghost so silently I again thanked my Heavenly Father for his hand in my life.
These are the types of experiences Sister Austin and I had at various times. They strengthened our testimonies and gave us the desire to serve with love. They helped us to accompany the Elders and Sisters on may teaching assignments and be gladly be with the Young Single Adults in Chemnitz and Leipzig. I can testify that me Heavenly Father and his Son, Jesus Christ, love and know each of us personally and are willing to guide us when we are ready to listen and obey.

Elder Austin

No comments: