Monday, February 2, 2009

Opa Scripture of the Week‏


January 25, 2009

Guten Abend meine Kinder,

Another week has flow by but now I don't worry about more gray hair, only that I have some hair left when I get home. But mom has sprouted a few gray strands of her own and now I am in trouble having said that so no more about bad hair days. So the following thoughts are offered instead:



A Return to Virtue, Elaine S. Dalton, Young Women General President
October 2008 General Conference Talk (http://by105w.bay105.mail.live.com/mail/www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-947-24,00.html)You know that mom and I read a lot of conference talks here in the mission field so this week, rather than quote a passage in Scripture I excerpted a few lines from the above reference talk. Sister Dalton starts it with the account about President Brigham Young and associates hiking to a peak in the Wasatch to raise a banner as a symbol to the nations of the earth that the Saints were to be a light to the world. That peak came to be known as Ensign Peak. She ends with the following personal experience that brought back many memories. “Recently I attended the blessing of our newest granddaughter. It was a holy sight to me as my husband and our sons, along with many other loved ones, encircled this little infant. She was so elegant all dressed in white—and it didn’t hurt a bit that she was named after her two grandmothers! But the thing that touched me most was the blessing given by her father, our son Zach. He blessed little Annabel Elaine that she would understand her identity as a daughter of God, that she would follow the examples of her mother, grandmothers, and sister, and that she would find great joy as she lived a virtuous life and prepared to make and keep sacred temple covenants. In that sacred moment, I prayed that every young woman (and young man) might be encircled, strengthened, and protected by righteous priesthood power, not only at the time of birth and blessing but throughout life.” Then she ends by stating, “…that a return to virtue is possible because of the Savior’s example and the “infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. I testify that we will be enabled and strengthened not only to do hard things but to do all things. Now is the time for each of us to arise and unfurl a banner to the world calling for a return to virtue.” Amen, Elder Austin

1 comment:

Ron said...

I've been forced into following blogs in order to keep up with some of the kids; I'm new to it and not very good at it. Anyway, somehow in that process, I found your blog. I had no idea you were on a mission but I think it is wonderful and I'm very excited for you. Best wishes. Ron Olson