Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A word from Sister Austin


May 20 2009
Dear Friends and Family,


Well, I think it is time to write another letter home.
We are now down to the last approx. 4 and 1/2 months of our mission. Hard to believe. It is a time of reflection and of re-dedication on our parts. We once again acknowledge and praise the incredible missionaries, the Elders and Sisters, in the field here in Germany as well as the world. Bless them, Bless them, Bless them. Please take time to offer a prayer of thanks for these dedicated and heroic children of God as they are about his work. I cannot begin to explain how precious this time as been with them and to be apart of this sacred work with them and this has given us a much greater appreciation for our own James and Chris A and Chris Haines who served missions not long ago. Our own testimony of the Savior has been strengthened by the countless efforts of the many thousands who serve now and have served since the restoration of the Church in 1830.


I was blessed with an opportunity this last week as a young convert in Chemnitz invited me to give a talk at her baptism. I sat down and the words came to mind that I wanted to say and then a wonderful missionary helped me set those words in German and no, it was not Elder Austin rather Elder Brechbühl, a new missionary from Switzerland. I gave my first official talk in German and loved every minute of it. We returned to our beloved Chemnitz and reunited with all our Young Single Adults that we have spent the past year with. I love it and so did Elder Austin. Many of the missionaries in the surrounding areas were there as well and we knew most of them because we have worked with them. It was a glorious reunion.

I am not sure if I have written about our last temple experience with the Young Single Adults in Chemnitz but if I have please forgive as I write again. Bishop Jentzsch of Chemnitz had issued me a calling in the Family History Center and encouraged me and Daniela, another YSA, to work with the newly baptized to get their family history started. So we had worked at this for several weeks. Trying to get all the information and then getting them set up on new family search and then getting the information to the temple. Well we were successful and were able to do baptisms for the deceased fathers of two YSA's. What an inspiring session. I sat watching this whole process and wondered if those fathers were present. In that moment I could feel strongly there spirits and with that this powerful feeling of gratitude. I felt how grateful these fathers were for the work that their daughters had completed and also in a most sweet and real way I could feel their gratitude for Elder Austin and I watching and carrying for their daughters. It was a sacred experience for me, one I will never forget.

Now we are working to get to also assist the young adults in Leipzig. It must be hard for them as they bid farewell to the previous couple they had grown to love and then to let a new couple into there hearts realizing they will be leaving as well. They are wonderful young men and women and we are just getting to know them. I must say we have both been blessed with our ability to love and accept them. The Spirit of Love is so strong and with that love our abilities to influence and bless increases I know.

Well I was able to bear my testimony as I have many times in Germany and in the German language this last Sunday. Elder Austin will be speaking on this next Sunday and we have both been asked to speak in 2 weeks.

This is amazing to me and the fulfillment of several dreams I had before we left as well as a dream my neighbor Pam had where I was speaking German. In my dreams I was bearing my testimony in German. I have seen the fulfillment of that dream many times and my sweet husband is always amazed not so much by my halting German but by the powerful Spirit that he feels.

Elder Austin and I have developed a deeper respect for the gifts and talents we each have. It is our desire to use these in a synergistic manner. That reminds me as I write this of the blessing of our Stake President before we left. He alluded to this very idea.

I have a testimony Heavenly Father has blessed us to work together and in greater harmony than ever before.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is true and we are honored to bear that testimony often as the Spirit confirms to our hearts this is the way and the light and the path to return to him.

love

Sister Austin

PS Elder Bednar recently spoke at a CES Fireside.... His talk was a clarion call of warning for all of us but particularly for the rising generation. I will send the link and hope you have a chance to listen to it. It is a warning for all but particularly for our young who are so involved with the computers and gaming etc.... I must say this was new information to me but I know it is something we all need to be aware of. http://www.facebook.com/pages/BYU-Broadcasting/26529238479

No comments: